Christopher T. Hanna
4550 W. Tilghman Street
Allentown, PA 18104
Office Phone: 610-398-8111
< Back to My Blog
November 2, 2017 1:39 am
Did you know that sixteen percent of Americans have experienced a home break-in? From open windows to a lack of alarm, there are a myriad of reasons that could put your home at risk. Below are the top five, in order, according to DIY home phone and security company Ooma.
1. Neighborhood or surroundings - 24 percent. Nearly a quarter of American homes are at risk simply based on their neighborhood or surrounding neighborhoods.
2. No alarm - 16 percent. Failing to install a home security system is the second leading cause of a home invasion, results show. If you can't afford an alarm system, placing a sign by your door claiming that you're protected may help sway cautious burglars.
3. An unlocked door - 14 percent. While only fourteen percent of Americans who have experienced a burglary say an open door was the cause, nearly 42 percent leave their doors unlocked, which is just begging for a (not so forced) entry.
4. An open window - eight percent. Windows come second to open doors. Never leave ground floor windows open when you leave the house.
5. Living in an apartment building - seven percent. According to Ooma's survey results, simply living in an apartment building ups your chance of a break in, as housing units see more foot traffic, and can be easier for strangers to enter without suspicion. Look for a building with front entrance security measures, like an ID swipe, key code, or porter.
Published with permission from RISMedia.
Copyright© 2018 by eWebEngine - A Division of Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies
|Each RE/MAX office is independently owned and operated |
RE/MAX 440, PA